Popular Posts

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fun relaxed weekend along Cape Coast

I had a very eventful weekend…. We left early Friday morning and set out to Elmina. We drove all along the cape coast making our first stop at Cocoon National Forest. The Forest was absolutely beautiful so lush and green. We were suspended on canopies that went from tree to tree raised 120 feet above the ground. I could not believe that I actually trusted these with my life. There were ants all through the forest, our guide Prince warned us to stay clear of these ants for one ant is piousness enough to kill one elephant.

After visiting the national forest we headed to a restaurant that is built on top of a small body of water. What lives in this water? You will have to just wait and see. We went to feed them, but they had already been fed and had full tummies. So instead we got to play with them for a little while. It was rather scary and all that I could think of is of how my mom would not like me to be doing this. I actually have maybe had a few moments where I have thought about my mom not liking what I was doing. Hey mom at least you know I am thinking about you.

Our next plan was to set out to the Elmina Slave Castle, but we ran out of time so we were going to go on our way back to Accra. We went to our resort which was amazing and was set on the beach. It was called Coco Beach resort. We stayed in little bungalows that were just a hop skip and a jump away from the beach. When we got there we immediately put our suits on and went to the beach and then pool! We ate in an open little hut on the beach for dinner as well as breakfast and lunch the next day. It was so fun to have a little bit of a vacation, we all needed it and we all enjoyed it very much!

We jumped back on the bus and headed to the Elmina Slave Castle that we were not able to fit in the day before. This was something I will never forget. This particular castle is that largest one in Africa. It was first run by the portages, then the Dutch, and finally the British. Let me just tell you thing that hit me the most while I was walking through with castle. We walked into the women’s dungeon there was no sort of light or anything. The only thing that was in that room was a tiny hole in the corner for some ventilation. As I entered the room I had to hold my breath because of the stench. Our guide then told us why it smelt that way. The women were not let out to use the bathroom, even when they were menstruating therefore this is what caused the smell. Then the women would occasionally be let into the courtyard just outside of their dungeon so the governor could choose which girl he wanted to rape. This girl would get a bath and a change of clothes. If she refused she was chained and forced to lay on salt for three days which burned through their skill. Our guide said something at the end of the tour that really stuck with me. He said that we did not come to this castle to feel bad or morn, we came to pay respect and to learn from our mistakes.


soaking up the beach time!
Dinner at the resort with my girls Hilary and Shantel.
The view from my room
I made it off of the canopy safe and sound....Phew!
See how high we were in the air.
so beautiful
Getting brave...
I did it... I kissed it!
Elmina Slave Castle
The top of the Castle
Castle.....

No comments:

Post a Comment