Popular Posts

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I thought I was going to Africa!

Wow now this is going to be quite the exciting post! So, yesterday lets just say I was truly running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I was throwing together so many last minute things while feeling sick from my malaria medication and trying to see people that I really care about before I go. Reality started to set in that I was really leaving tomorrow. I was pretty calm throughout the whole day but there were for sure many times that I wanted to freak out. For example when I went to pick up pictures that I needed to have for Africa, to find that they were blurry. I could not go back because of dinner arrangements, and by that point they were closing. Throughout the day I continued to think of a pillow that is in my moms house.


My dear sweet mom designed this necklace for me and I love it! She was so excited to give it to me and I was just as excited when I opened it! She had it made by someone at Sundance. It has my birthstone( pearl) with a heart charm that says “love” and another round circle charm that says “ protect Bailey”. I seriously love this necklace, it is a gift I know I will cherish forever. I have been completely surprised at how well my mom has been handling me leaving. Yes she has had her moments but for the most part she has done very well. I don’t know if it is because my brother is living in the mountains in yellow stone with the bears or what…. I think we are slowly breaking her in. I am so happy that my mom decided to give me such a special gift. I think of her every time I look at it. I feel as though it has protected me today.




See this cute peace sign on my backpack….. that is handcrafted by my sister Jessica. It is super cute and should be after spending 3hrs on it hahah .The picture does not due its justice. Thanks Jess!



Ok everyone this is where my story gets good!!!!! Today is the day I am leaving to Africa so excited with many months of anticipation and preparation. My original traveling plans were to be to the airport by 8:30am in SLC, board the plain at 10:30 and would be in the air by 11:00. Well it did not go so smoothly. We were all buckled in ready to take off when there was a pop noise that was faint but loud enough to hear. When my friend Cameron looked back at me and said “ Do you see that?” Looking ahead you could see that the roof of the airplane had collapsed inward a little bit. We all sat there wondering what our next move should be. We sat on the airplane for another 20 minutes waiting to hear what was wrong with our airplane. We got back to the gate and unloaded. I am just thanking the heaves we did not take off with that problem. The problem now is were we going to be able to catch our connecting flight to Georgia. Not to worry our flight was delayed till 12:30pm, and then it was delayed till 3:00, o and then did I forget to mention it was canceled! 13 of us packed up and had to go and rearrange our flight for tomorrow. So we finally got our flight squared away when we received a phone call from one of our directors from UVU saying there is a problem with our Visas. The issue is, is that our visas are only good for 3 months in the country since the time you sent them in. Really what this means is that we would have 2 weeks in Africa because our visa expires on July 27th. Why don’t we just add another problem to the mix?? So there you have it all in a nutshell.

My sweet sister Mackenzie came to the rescue and picked me up from the airport. While trying to rescue me she needed rescuing herself from the policeman who puller her over for not have her care registered. In her defense she had her admissions and inspections done, but had not gotten the stickers yet.. Anyway, he was one of those copes…. You know the type that just don’t want to be nice!

We will be trying this all over again tomorrow. I already feel exhausted from being at the airport all day long. I hope tomorrows adventure is a little less eventful.

If this is how my journey is starting off, what more is it going to bring? I will keep you all posted. I should be leaving tomorrow Friday around 11:00 am and arrive in Accra Ghana Saturday11:00 am. Thanks for listening!












No comments:

Post a Comment