Popular Posts

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last sabbath day in Africa and it was a great one!

Sundays are always so great here in Africa. I took my friend Charley to church in hopes that he would find an interest in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was very excited to introduce him to something that brings such great joy to my life. Charley has continually said to me “ there is something that is just different about you that I really like.” I told him it was the church. After telling him that it was the church, he was ready to try it out. I hope that he had a positive experience today and wants to continue to go. He is an individual who is very deserving of this gospel. He deserves all of the happiness in the world.

Following church today I jumped in a taxi and headed to the orphanage which is about 30minutes away. It is so difficult going to the orphanage knowing that these children are parentless. There are the cutest brothers ages 3 and 5 that just had both parents pass away last week, can you even imagine? All of the children were so happy to receive what I brought them today. I took them some beautiful artwork donated by Mike and Susan Singleton, clothes that my little cousin Edie and her friends made, bandanas, as well as some water toys which were a hit. Everyone was soaked by the end of play date. We played with new kickball’s, basketballs, sidewalk chalk, and books. I wish I could take every one of these children home.

After the orphanage we went to dinner across the street for pizza and some traditional Ghanaian food. The Ghanaian food was very different but edible haha. On our walk home I stopped at my friend Ta’s shop. Ta’s shop is on the side of a busy street in Accra. In the back of his shop is his hut/house which is built over the sewer. I went to Ta’s to buy another pair of pants… I could not resist. I love the pants here and could not come home with one pair especially after what happened today. My pants ripped at the orphanage all the way to the bum, but not to worry Ta fixed them for me. It is so handy to have crafty people all over the city that are so willing to help you.

Tomorrow we are heading out of here at 5:00am to Mole National Park. The national park is a 10 hour drive to the very northern part of the country. We will all start out in one big van and then split into two vans around the 4 hour mark. The reason we have to do this is because the roads are so bad, and I guess it will make it easier in smaller cars. I am really excited to get to Mole to see some wildlife. Hopefully I will come back with some good pictures. I am also planning on taking the rest of my humanitarian stuff to hand out in a very poor village we will be visiting. I am super excited for this trip and know that it will be a good close to a wonderful African adventure.

Ps: I also have to give another shout out to Dawn Christian. All of the men at church today were so grateful for their ties. Thank you so much!!

Thank you Ta for stitching my pants back up!
The orphans
Thanks Singletons they loved their new artwork!
New shirt... thanks Edie!
Very Africanized wouldn't you say?
Ok is doesn't Christopher have the cutest most beautiful face?
Which one do you want?
Felix loves his new shirt!
This Nata the 5 year old
This is Nati the 3 year old. He loved these cars Janessa brought
Charley and I at church....
Boys loving their new ties!
The elders i think were the most excited!!!


2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I have a feeling this isn't the last time you will be making a difference in Africa. Love you. Have fun on the safari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey!! I flippin miss you and can't believe you're almost home! It's gone by sooo fast! Sundays in Belize were great too... so much of your blog reminds me of Belize. Soak it all in before you leave and I'll see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete