Popular Posts

Sunday, July 10, 2011


July 9th

I finally made it to Africa today after traveling for 24hours. We arrived around 3:00 Ghana time which is about 8:00 your time. It was quite the crazy travel!!!!! First, there were 5 us that had our tickets printed off wrong. There was no destination leaving the SLC airport. Us 5 had to go through and get special help with security. Second, our flight out of SLC was delayed to JFK due to weather conditions. Third, when we were getting ready to take off from JFK to Ghana the runway was backed up for 45minutes. Well, to say the least this has been a crazy travel!! So today when we got here we got to our hostel which is in Accra Ghana. Just my luck that I am shoved in the room that has broken air-conditioning. It is so HOT!!!!!!!!!!! They said it will be fixed by Monday( we will see about that). I knew the whole Africa thing was going to be quite the experience….. After settling in our rooms we had dinner, our chefs name is Bonsi and he is awesome! We had French fries, chicken stroganoff, mango, and pineapple. I have to say it was rather tasty….. I can’t complain! After dinner we went and exchanged our U.S money for Ghana’s money called cedi (pronounced CD’s). Following this we all jumped in about 5 different taxes and took off to the grocery store called Kuala. I took the initiative of getting my crew a taxi and bargaining the price of our travel. Our driver was very nice, and not to bad of a driver. In fact, I told him to race the others in our group…. And then I said never mind don’t, my mom would kill me if she knew I told you to do that! Haha. The taxi driver on the way home was a different story, he was crazy we only almost crashed once. I said a couple of times to others in the group “ I don’t think they have emissions or inspections for the cars here”. These cars are ghetto with bits and pieces missing.

Some crazy things we saw today

  • Two males pulling down their pants to go to the bathroom on the side of the busy road.
  • I had to guys fake kiss me in there car
  • People everywhere carrying things on there head such as; bananas, coffee tables, eggs, and water.

Our little hallway

Taxi ride right before we started to reverse down the street. The seat covers grossed me out!!
My cocoon to keep the bugs out, especially now that our windows are open due to no AC
leaving the airport with all of our luggage. None of the luggage was lost!


No comments:

Post a Comment