Popular Posts

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Willie Waterfalls and The Monkey Village

Another weekend excursion. Our first stop was Willie Waterfalls. We hiked about 45 minutes through the jungle to the waterfall which was absolutely beautiful. As we were standing in the water below the waterfall I looked up to see that we were surrounded by thousands of bats.

After the waterfall we packed up and headed to the Monkey Village. Now this is a village that has been recognized in the national geographic. We pulled up to the village in the pitch black where we were greeted by our guide Immanual. The villagers had been waiting up for us so they could sing and dance with us. We had the option to sleep with a family in the village or to sleep at the compound. I decided to sleep with a family. I buddied up with my friend Ashlee and we made our way to our hut where we were going to be sleeping for the night. When we got to our hosts little house he was ready to greet us in his silky purple robe. We went to our room which was made out of cement. The windows had chicken wire and were covered with sheets that blew in the wind. I would have to say that we were very lucky to have a bed but it was rather uncomfortable. We did not have any sheets and it felt like I was lying on boards. The best part about this whole experience was that if we had to use the bathroom, we had to go into Wilson’s bedroom where he was sleeping. Did I also forget to mention that Wilson is blind. So here Ashlee and I were sleeping in a blind mans house, somewhere in Africa that we could not even identify on a map. We could not sleep we laid there and talked about how weirder out we were by the noises of goats, chickens, monkeys and other unidentifiable sounds. We woke up at 3:00am to go to the bathroom, thinking we were all sneaky as we opened the bathroom door in Wilsons room. We noticed Wilson was occupying his bathroom, so we rushed back to our room as quickly as possible and then tried again a few minutes later. We then got up at 5:30am to go and feed the monkeys in the village. All of us were dragging with having no sleep. Others had mice, spiders, and bats in their room…. So maybe Ashlee and I did luck out. Anyway, we fed the monkeys which was quit the experience. I would hold a banana strait out and the monkey would run and jump up my legs and then onto my arm. The type of monkeys we were feeding are called Mona monkeys. We continued with a walk through the jungle to see the monkeys habitat. Following our adventure through the jungle we had breakfast which was prepared by one of the villagers. This breakfast consisted of some sort of rice cereal and bread that was swarmed with flies.

After breakfast we roamed around becoming more familiar with the village and the people that live there. Six of us got on bikes with a guide and drove through the monkey village and other villages. We stopped at a couple different villages where immanual explained to us their way of life. We were able to see men working hard at the loom producing Kente cloth and women in the kitchen cooking dinner for their family.

I am sorry for such a jumbled blog post. I wish I could explain all of this in the detail it deserves but just do not have the time to. I hope these pictures will help describe it more. I have now been here for two weeks! Time is going very fast but also very slow, our days are so long and jam packed that one day seems like a week. Ps: please forget my spelling/grammar/ everything!( I have been doing homework all day long on my computer, and honestly this is the last thing I wanted to do) hahaha.


Kids we stopped to talk to on our bike ride. They start to fetch water at the age of five. It takes them 30minutes round trip to get to the water hole, and make this trip about 8 times a day.


Giant ant hill in the monkey forest
Yep that is a Mona Monkey! I was a little freaked out the first time!
Just the cutest kids that live in the monkey village
Willie Waterfall


No comments:

Post a Comment