Popular Posts

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Intro to my African adventure

Well I can honestly say that I never thought that I would be the type to have a blogg, I can barley work facebook, and writing is not really my forte. I realized that I needed to start a blogg because of this amazing adventure I am about to set out on, and want to share with everyone. Yes, I am going to Africa, specifically the country Ghana on Thursday July 7th. The reason I am going to Ghana is for an internship through Utah Valley University. I am currently studying Community Health and hope to further my education once I graduate in April.

I will be completely honest I don’t think I know what I have signed up for. I have spent countless hours preparing for this internship. All of the items that you need to be prepared for a trip like this is unbelievable. On top of just trying to get myself ready I am trying to prepare for the children I will be teaching in school over there. There is so much unknown to this trip and that is why I think it has been hard for me to prepare. I like things to be organized so I can put forth my best work. Sometimes I am too over the top with my anal- retentiveness so this has already taught me a lesson, which is to relax and chill out a little. Since there is so much unknown I will try to tell you what I do know. Keep in mind that all of these known facts also have unknown too.

· I will be taking a college class over there

o The course is International Health.

· We are staying in The Pink Hostel

o Somewhere in Accra. I hope I get there.

· I will be teaching a school class

o Well my partner and I have prepared lessons. But don’t know the age of the kids or how many. To be on the safe side we have bought 50 of everything. Lets hope and pray there are not more than 50 kids.

· Conducting research on HIV awareness and prevention

o We have large packets and will ask individuals to participate in research. We will then bring this research back to the university so the professor can start to organize this information and write articles. I believe I will be one of her assistance with this when we return.

· Teaching about HIV awareness and prevention

o I don’t know but think we will be teaching this all over the city as well as in villages.

· Humanitarian work

o Orphanages

o Building restrooms

o Unknown: other things to haha

· I personally am in charge of the Ga tribe

o Whatever that means… communicating with the Chief. I know I am suppose to coordinate activates and things. My professor said she would help me with this, and she better haha.

· 2 suit cases both weighing 50lbs.

o One is for me

o The other is for the people of Ghana

§ Toys

§ Toothbrushes

§ Ties

§ Burp clothes

§ Baby clothes

§ And many other humanitarian items

The list could go on with all of the things I am taking over there. I have to let everyone know who has helped make this possible for me how grateful I am. I would not have been able to do this if it was not for you and your generous efforts. I am so grateful and am so humbled already through my preparation, that I cannot even imagine what it is going to be like there. I believe there will be a lot more knowns than unknowns to come. I hope that you will follow my blogg, so you can enjoy this amazing adventure with me! Thank you to everyone for your love and support!!!

*Bear with me as I enter the blogging world!

2 comments:

  1. Bailey I am so excited to read your blog and keep updated on your adventure.. this will be such an amazing experience for you and I am so happy that you will get to be a part of this wonderful service you are doing for these people in africa. You are about to have your life changed, and you will do so much good for these people! I am sure going to miss you, so I hope I can get to see you before you head out thursday. I LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey... I am so glad I got to say goodbye to you yesterday. I'm so excited for your adventure! Good thing you have this blog so I can keep updated. You inspired me... so i started my own blog. Travel safely and always remember that I love you!!! I miss you already
    love,
    Bryn

    ReplyDelete